Join our family today!

Membership Application

Paid Up For Life Application

Eligibility Requirements


Women are eligible for membership in the Auxiliary if they are themselves a veteran who served honorably or if they fall into one of the following categories:

  • wife
  • mother
  • sister
  • daughter
  • granddaughter
  • great granddaughter
  • grandmother
  • great grandmother

of an active duty servicemember or veteran who served honorably during any of the eligible war eras liisted in the table at right. Step-relatives in the categories above, such as step-mother, step-sister, step-daughter, are also eligible.

Eligibility Dates

World War I April 6, 1917  to  Nov. 11, 1918
World War II Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946
U.S. Merchant Marines Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946
Korean War June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31,1955
Vietnam War Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
Lebanon/Grenada Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984
Panama Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990
Desert Shield/Storm/War on Terror Aug. 2, 1990 to date of cessation
  • Additional Considerations:

1.  If a request for American Legion Auxiliary membership is based on a family member who is living, that person must be a member of The American Legion. 2.  If a request for Auxiliary membership is based on a deceased veteran who was not a member of The American Legion, the prospective member will be required to provide verifying documentation that proves her eligibility. 3.  A woman veteran may join the American Legion Auxiliary without being a member of The American Legion if her dates of service fall within at least one of the eligible service categories, as described on the ALA membership applications.  If, however, her family members wish to join the Auxiliary or the Sons of The American Legion through her service, she must first become a member of The American Legion; The Legion will verify the woman veteran’s eligibility.   In addition to the DD214, examples of other acceptable documentation to verify eligibility are:


  • DD214 (not issued until Korean War)
  • Official military orders
  • Official military service citations/awards
  • Letters related to the veteran’s military service on official government letterhead
  • Certificate from the V A records center in St. Louis, and Data from the back of older discharges. Military records may be requested from the National Archives at:

Helpful Resources

National Military Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, MO 63132-5100 Phone: 866-272-6272

Online request

DD214 request form to mail

Military Personnel Records website